Posting videos of your friends or your family can be great. You never know who will find it - it might even end up as one of the Most Viewed videos! However if your video is personal, consider marking it private so that only your StoryVault contacts and those you share it with are able to see it.
Protect the Identity of the Person you have Interviewed
If you do post public videos, make sure there isn't anything in them that could help a stranger work out where the person you have interviewed lives. Personal information such as your telephone number or home address should never be shared with other users. Keep an eye out for things like number plates on cars or images of the outside of a house which might accidentally appear in the background of a video and could therefore be used to find you.
Users should also be aware that StoryVault will never ask you for your password, email address or other account information. If someone contacts you claiming to be from StoryVault please use this link to advise us that this has happened.
When someone comments on a video you have uploaded you have the ability to remove that comment if is offensive or upsets you.
If you come across any other inappropriate content then please advise StoryVault immediately.
Always follow these important safety tips when using StoryVault
- Never share your password with anyone
- Don't share personal information
- Make sure you choose settings for your videos (public or private) which you are comfortable with
- Tell us about anyone that sends you unwanted or inappropriate communications
- Report users and content that violate our Terms of Conditions
Eligibility & Children
StoryVault is not for anyone under the age of 8 years. StoryVault advises parents of children 8 years and older to consider whether their child should be supervised during the child's use of the StoryVault site. Although it is unlikely that they will come across inappropriate content, the content itself may be of a grown up theme unsuitable for younger children. Please notify us if you encounter any content that could be deemed offensive.
We strongly encourage users to contact StoryVault immediately if someone online says or does something to make them feel uncomfortable or threatened in any way
StoryVault chat is only available between existing contacts, nevertheless StoryVault is a CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre) site and the CEOP link will be present in the chat window and any other page where there is an opportunity to hold online discussions.
We strongly encourage users to use the CEOP button or to contact StoryVault immediately if someone online says or does something to make them feel uncomfortable or threatened in any way.
StoryVault encourages parents to talk to their children about the dangers they may encounter online, and to make sure their children are using StoryVault in a safe manner. Parents may want to install monitoring software on home computers if they are concerned about what their children are doing online.
More information regarding Internet safety can be found on the following sites:
How we moderate user-generated content
We work on a notice and take down policy, otherwise referred to as 'reactive moderation'.
- Content, including videos, comments, forum posts, news items and blog entries reported to StoryVault and considered to be in breach of our Terms and Conditions are deleted.
- Comments on, blogs, news items or forum posts referring to, or quotes derived from, deleted content as described above, whether in part or in full may also be deleted.
- Comments on, blogs, news items or forum posts referring to, or quotes derived from, acceptable content whether in part or in full may also be deleted. This can sometimes be due to a thread descending into an unpleasant exchange of posts and rather than deleting the whole thread they are removed from a certain point onwards. Unfortunately, other acceptable content may be lost as a result.
We reserve the right to remove content, ban users or moderate user posts at our discretion.
We want StoryVault users to enjoy our forums but to adhere to our Terms and Conditions
Please also see: Netiquette
To report abuse
Alongside each video you'll find a "Report Abuse" link. Simply click on it and provide:
- A link to the item (copy and paste from the address bar in your browser)
- The comment/thread number(s) if not reporting the main item itself
- The content of the item and your reason for reporting it.
Our team will investigate your complaint and aim to do so within 24 hours.
Users who break the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) contained within our Terms and Conditions may receive a warning via email and/or have the following actions taken on their account:
- Content hidden from view from a certain date until further notice
- Content pre-moderated and embargoed until approved for release until further notice
- Banned from using the site for a period of time
- Banned from the site indefinitely (suspended)
Cyberbullying will not be tolerated. To support the Campaign visit: http://yp.direct.gov.uk/cyberbullying/.